Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bell's Palsy Update

Halleleuh! At one month to the date I can report my Bell's Palsey is nearly undetectible! I can say I feel perhaps a lag in my right eye when it blinks, perhaps not quite as many wrinkles on that side when I smile, and my ear ever so slightly sensitive. Even my children are telling me how happy they are that Mommy's smile is all better.

I never would have dreamed the dramatic change in the past 10 days. At first it was very painful, like someone punched me really hard, with a really big fist. Lots of twitching and then the dramatic increase in function came along. I have to say rest (thanks to my husband) played a major role, along with the high dose prednisone (even though it was awful!), high dose vitamin B & D (I was deficient in both), evening primrose, green tea, flax seed oil, and super B complex. I also ate to feed my injury, as I was told after my previous surgeries. I had lots of green, and lots of protein (eggs, cheese, yogurt, chicken, beans).

We are all astonished be the speed of my recovery and oh so very thankful!


Scary at Halloween. I was actually smiling here, or trying very hard to anyway! Cover the right side of my face and you can see it.

What I have learned... If you see someone, even just a distant aquaintance, who has an obvious disfigurement, new or old, or has something obviously distressing going on... smile. Offer a hand. Acknowledge it. A smile does wonders for the healing. Please, don't stare. Ask questions. A hug is the best gift you can give someone and it doesn't require any akward words.

1 comment:

Drew said...

Glad to hear everything is getting better! I'm still loving your bath products and I've gotten my mom addicted!